“Think before you donate”and we think you’ll donate to Goodwill
Occasionally people receive an old email or social media post titled, “Think Before You Donate” that contains false information about a number of nonprofits, including Goodwill. We know that you want your donations to be used wisely, so we’d like to provide you with correct information in response to these rumors.
The email falsely claims a person named Mark Curran is the president and “owner” of Goodwill.
Goodwill Industries International (GII) is a network of 180 worldwide autonomous non-profit charitable organizations each governed by a local volunteer Boards of Director. GII supports the independent Goodwills and is headed by Jim Gibbons, who has been the CEO since 2008. GII is governed by a volunteer board and as such does not have an “owner.” Furthermore, no one by the name Mark Curran has ever headed a Goodwill organization, anywhere, including Chattanooga Goodwill Industries which has been led by its President and CEO, Dennis Brice, for over 23 years.
At Goodwill Industries of Chattanooga, we believe everyone should “think before you donate.” When you do, you may rest assured that your generous donations to Goodwill help individuals to achieve their potential and to improve their quality of life, thereby building lives, families, and our communities.
We would like to address some of the other issues raised in the email. Please note the following facts about Chattanooga Goodwill Industries:
- Chattanooga Goodwill Industries is a registered, reputable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- As a nonprofit, Chattanooga Goodwill Industries is not “owned” by anyone but is responsible to the communities it serves and is governed by a board of directors made up of volunteers from throughout its service area.
- Donations to Goodwill support our Mission to empower people to achieve their potential, increase their independence and to improve their quality of life. We serve individuals with disabilities and disadvantages, such as barriers to employment or independent living.
- Your donation to Goodwill helps generate the funds needed to provide our local programs serving over 10,000 individuals, ranging from job training to helping seniors in need of medical equipment. Find out more about our programs.
- Chattanooga Goodwill Industries compensates all employees at or above the Federal minimum wage.
- More than 86 cents of every dollar earned by Chattanooga Goodwill Industries supports its Missions of changing lives. Nationally, CharityWatch, an independent organization that evaluates philanthropic organizations, gives Goodwill Industries International an “A” rating – one of the highest in the country for a non-profit organization.
Goodwill Industries International has also issued a response to the email rumors. It can be found on their website at http://www.goodwill.org/?p=17257
Thank you for supporting Chattanooga Goodwill Industries in SE Tennessee and NW Georgia.
When you shop at our retail locations or make a donation at one of our donation centers you are helping people in need.